Other aspects of the Lonergan Legacy.
- Insights as the key understanding human progress, decline, and reversal.
- His transcendental method as the methodology for truly transdisciplinary work, both in recovering the past and setting foundations for the future.
- His invariant structure of the human good as the framework for understanding the range and markers of human progress and decline.
- The importance of the subject as a dynamic intelligence with a potentially unrestricted desire to know as the only entity capable of choosing between different unresolvable conflicts history and geography present to us.
- The emphases on the ultimate need for religious conversion as a falling in love with the divine mystery, a fundamental change in who a person is that in turn affects his or her moral and intellectual life;
- The importance of love and friendship among free and liberated people when it comes to engaging in personal relations of a mutual self-mediating type at the reflective level of the human good.
- The importance of a communal life built around authentic human beings, wherein individual contributions to a historically tested body of knowledge result in cumulative progress.
- The focus on understanding and making choices concerning the fundamental conflicts of our time (Dialectics): who we are, what we make of ourselves, in foremost a matter of the choices we make when faced with the need to make choices and our allegiances we make with others.
- The importance of objectifying our blind spots: reality and delusions in the course of history that become ingrained in our horizon and intentions with the individual being aware of this unconscious blank spot in our knowing.
- Lonergan's quest is our quest: we need to understand what it means to understand at a time when the empirical sciences combined with cultural relativity not only truncate our knowing but eliminate all standards for making accurate judgments, and recovering the transcendental in human living that still drives human beings even if that drive is not acknowledged in any way.
The Pivot Point
Lonergan's functional specialities provide a basic insight into the reality of our position in time. The pivot point between past and future lies between Dialectics and Foundations, with Dialectics providing the key to how we create ourselves (orientate ourselves in time and space) by recovering the past and Foundations providing the fundamental horizon and intentions with which we can engage with what is to come. The past has happened; it can be recovered through Research, Interpretation, History, and Dialectics. The future has yet to be written, as it is the collective outcome of millions of decisions made by men and women that are in the process of being made. We make ourselves through the positions we take on the dialectical issues of our day; we establish our orientation in the world through objectifying our horizon as external to who we are and hence open to improvements and enhancements (if we don't identify who we are with our opinions, it is easier to improve our orientation through intellectual, moral, and religious conversion).
Entering Lonergan's Novum Organon
Embracing a Full-on Crisis in Authority